Did you know that 90 percent of goods that you use every day were shipped to you from overseas? If that fact was shocking, we have even more! Port City Logistics has put together a list of surprising facts about ocean freight that could make you think about shipping a little differently.
Facts About Ocean Freight
- Ocean freight is the cheapest option for shipping. Even though it isn’t the fastest, using sea shipping for transporting large amounts of goods will be exponentially cheaper than other forms of transportation.
- The containers that are used to ship goods could be between 20 and 40 feet tall! This is how some of your largest goods like furniture, appliances and more are shipped overseas.
- Speaking of containers- some of the largest ships can fit up to 18,000 containers at one time.
- There are two types of container fulfillment. The first one is full container load (FCL) which is when your ship takes all the container capacity. The second is less than container load (LCL) which is just partial load and partial payment.
- Around 1.5 million people are employed in the ocean freight industry, and around 98 percent of them are males.
- Ocean freight is the greenest or most sustainable form of transportation. Ships put out less emissions than trucks and planes.
- Pirates are real and they steal about two ships per day! Some hot spots for pirates today are the Indian Ocean, East Africa and the Far East.
- When a container ship goes on it’s typical annual voyage, it usually travels a distance that is equivalent to traveling three-quarters to the moon and back.
- There are currently around 55,000 commercial ships traveling the oceans.
- Some of the most elaborate merchant ships can cost up to $2 million to build.
Choose Port City for Ocean Freight
One fun fact about Port City Logistics is that we are one of the largest logistics companies in the South East and we serve the fastest growing port- The Port of Savannah. We offer many services including: port drayage, over the road transportation and warehousing & distribution.
If you need to use The Port of Savannah for your next shipment, choose Port City Logistics for your distribution needs! Contact us today to see how we can help you.